- Office: #522 Int’l Studies Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 02- 3290-2427
Download full CV: here.
- Ph.D. in Urban Planning, Columbia University, 2010
- M.S. in Urban Planning, Columbia University, 2003
- M.A. in International Affairs, Columbia University, 2003
- B.A. in English Literature, Tufts University, 1989
My research has primarily focused on the relationship between global capital and local urban development with particular attention paid to the role of technology. I previously examined how containerization shifted power relations and economic benefits between shipping companies and port cities in the US. My present research examines the role of the construction industry in the development process. In particular, I am exploring Korea’s history of urban development with the aim of better informing Korea’s application of its own development history to the contemporary developing world. I have also been exploring the impact of the Korean construction industry in Myanmar and Vietnam.
(UNDERGRADUATE) Global Poverty, Economic Geography of Developing Countries (Urbanization and Industrialization in East Asia), Benchmark Utopia, Introduction to International Development, Globalization and Beyond
(GRADUATE) Planning for Uncertainty and Risk, Development Alternatives, The Plight of the Poor, Citizen Participation, Urban Development, Introduction to Development and Cooperation, Mainstreaming Risk in Development
- Searching for the Just City. Routledge, 2009. (Co-edited with Peter Marcuse, James Connolly, Johannes Novy, Ingrid Olivo, and Justin Steil)
- Fainstein: Fragmented States and Pragmatic Improvements with Sai Balakrishnan and Susan Fainstein. AESOP
(2018) (ISBN: 9789082819120).
2 Journal Articles
- Just Like Korea in the 1970s? Policy Transfer and the Fiction of Familiarity. International Development and Coop-
eration Review. 11(4): 21–36 (2019). DOI: 10.32580/idcr.2019.11.4.21.
- A Rapid Appraisal Toolkit (RAT) for Entering into the Overseas Urban Development Market: With a Case Study
of Hanoi, Vietnam with Jinhee Park. Urban Design. 19(6): 93–110 (2018).
- Austerity in reverse: Korea, capabilities, and crisis with Jeeyeop Kim. International Planning Studies (2018) DOI: 10.1080/13563475.2018.1516546
- Theoretical Review of ‘Community’ Planning: A Critique of the Shaping of New Urbanist Discourse with Jinhee Park. Journal of Korea Planning Association 52(5): 5–25 (2017).
- “You have hands, make use of them!” Child labor in Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining in Tanzania with Alexander Lupilya. Journal of International Development. 28(7): 1013—1028 (2016). DOI:10.1002/jid.3245
- Housing and Happiness: Subjective Well Being and Residential Environment in Korea with Robert Rudolf. Journal of Korea Planning Association 50(7): 141-155 (2015). DOI:10.17208/jkpa.2015.11.50.7.55
- Characteristics of and Lessons from New York City’s Commercial District’ Zoning with Jeeyeop Kim and Hee-Yun Jung. Urban Design 15(6): 141-155 (2014).
- Crisis-induced Reform, State-Market Relations, and Entrepreneurial Urban Growth in China with Lei Wang and Zhigang Li. Habitat International 41: 50–57 (2014).
- Spatial Distribution of Urban Manufacturing: A Study of Large US Cities with Jeeyeop Kim and Lei Wang. Journal of Korean Planners Association 48(4): 333–347 (2013).
- River of Traffic: The Spatial Fragmentation of US Ports. Regional Studies (2013).
- Urban regeneration and gentrification: Land use impacts of the Cheonggye Stream Restoration Project on Seoul’s central business district with Heeji Lim, Jeeyeop Kim, and Woongkyoo Bae. Habitat International 39: 192–200 (2013).
- Just Cities in a Just Society: Maeulmandeulgi for social transformation or social reform? (Seoul Urban Research) (June 2013).
- Demanding Our Right to the City. Progressive Planning 185 (2010).
- Regional economies, open networks and the spatial fragmentation of production with Josh Whitford. Socio-Economic Review 5(3): 497-526 (2007).
- A Tale of Three Northern Manhattan Communities: Case Studies of Political Empowerment in the Planning and Development Process with Richard Bass. In Fordham Urban Law Journal, 31(2): 285–304 (2004).
- Inside Informality: Poverty, Jobs, Housing and Services in Nairobi’s Slums. Report No. 36347-KE, Africa Urban and Water Unit 1, The World Bank, Washington DC. 31 May 2006 (with Sumila Gulyani and Debabrata Talukdar)
4 Book Chapters
- Just city on the horizon: summing up, moving forward. In Searching for the Just City. Routledge, 2009. (with Johannes Novy)
- The right to the Just City. In Searching for the Just City. Routledge, 2009. (with David Harvey)
- The Heights: An Ivory Tower and Its Community. In The University as Urban Developer: Case Studies and Analysis, edited by David C. Perry and Wim Wiewel. New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2005. (with Peter Marcuse)
5 Book reviews
- Remaking Urban Citizenship: Organizations, Institutions, and the Right to the City. Urban Studies 50 (14): 3056–3060 (2013). John Forester, Dealing with Differences. Critical Policy Studies, 5 (1): 90–97 (2011).
Other Selected Projects
- National Research Foundation of Korea New Professor Research Grant (2015-2018). This project investigated the Korean construction industry’s collaboration with the government to export Korean-style large residential districts, particularly to Southeast Asia, and how those designs have been received.
- Korea Foundation eSchool: Teach annual course that is interactively streamed to Fudan University and Nanjing University in China. (2015-present)
- Form-Based Codes in Denver, Colorado, Researcher: Evaluated origins of Denver’s form-based zoning code reform for the Urban Design Institute of Korea (February 2014)
- Education Program on Urban Regeneration for Sustainable Development, Faculty: Prepared successful grant proposal with eight member team to found a new degree granting progam under the Korean National Research Foundation’s Brain Knowledge 21 Plus fund. Total funding approximately $2m over seven years. (May 2013 to present)
- Industrial Retention in New York City, Researcher: Examined and summarized New York City’s industrial retention experience and policy for the Seoul Institute (February 2013)